[Aust-NZ] Introduction: Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Jul 27 04:07:39 EDT 2010

IMO, there is no problem with copyright belonging to a particular custodian, particularly if they have funded the data capture and maintenance.

It is more important that the data is released under a suitable license that allows reuse, e.g. A Creative Commons license.

Earlier this year, The Victorian Government released their findings into a Parliamentary Inquiry into improving access to public sector information (PSI).

There are a range of recommendations, including:

 *   the release of PSI under a Creative Commons license as the government's default position; and
 *   the storing and provision of PSI in Open Standards formats.

See [1] and [2] for more information.

Bruce

[1] http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/edic/inquiries/article/1019
[2] http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/edic/inquiries/article/1020

On 27/07/10 5:40 PM, "Simon Cropper" <scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au> wrote:

On Tuesday 27 July 2010 17:11:41 Roald de Wit wrote:
> or just joining us next time

That should be good. I might be able to give a talk once I acquire some
geospatial data on which to base my tutorials. Then I can create mock projects
that are not tied to any DSA agreements or where the copyright is bestowed in
someone else (e.g. State of Victoria).

--
Cheers Simon

        Simon Cropper