[Aust-NZ] Introduction: Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) SEC=UNCLASSIFIED [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Jul 27 20:48:54 EDT 2010

Noli,

I think that you will find that Ben has a long lineage in spatial data and systems.

The issues that you have raised are well understood within our industry. It is through the efforts of Ben and a number of others that we are starting to get some traction to open up access to data.

The Vic gov developments are but one example of what is happening. You may wish to have a look at government 2.0 and QLD initiatives.

Also GA and BoM are already starting to release our data under CC.

However, this is not just a one way street. These datasets cost money to capture and maintain. We are going to have to look at how we can contribute in the future to ensure that we can continue obtaining quality data.

Bruce