[Aust-NZ] NZ Towns

Peter webwiz at pl.net
Sun Nov 14 23:31:30 EST 2010

Its an almagamation of the sources i named, geonames, linz electoral, and google geocoder for the coords, with a bit of stuff patched in (when i had any doubts) from statnz interactive boundary viewer (ambiguous regions, some populations). Where spelling disagreed i tended to go with the electoral dataset http://www.linz.govt.nz/placenames/electoral-streets-places/ Just beware there was a lot of hand editing involved, hence errors are a real possibility.

QGIS: i tried both installers, both had the same error. It wasnt the Program Files thing becasue i put it in Program-Files the second time to be safe. As far as i got in the documentation suggested it was the absence of a windows library. I ran out of time and patience. Given your guys recommendation ill try it again soon. Failing that ill try it on a linux box, thatd probably, yeah, be easier... The thought of all that FOSS sql, python, etc running on windows gives me the willys.

METADATA: Yes, No. The reason being the same as why i was reliant on such half baked sources, lack of GIS knowhow.

Peter