[Aust-NZ] Fwd: RE: Aust-NZ Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 03:26:46 EDT 2010

[fwd from NZOpenGIS mailing list, re LINZ -> OpenStreetMaps progress.
 for details see  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ   --H]

from	Robert Coup <robert (at) coup net.nz>
reply-to	nzopengis googlegroups com
to	John Forne <jforne linz govt.nz>
date	Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hi John,

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, John Forne <jforne linz govt.nz> wrote:

>    An open question please... I'm interested in finding out more about
> what progress has been made getting the NZ Topo series into OSM and what
> plans there are for the future - who should I contact?

No real need to cross-post to 3x lists! :) The archives from NZOpenGIS would tell you a lot of what you need to know.

>    I'd love to also promote what is being done with OSM. In particular,
> I'd love to post another "guest blog" that addresses questions for the
> reader, including:
>
>     *   what have you done (if possible include a URL link)?

- map a tonne of LINZ topo attributes to openstreetmap tags
- load the topo dataset for the Chatham Islands into OSM. Have a look at http://osm.org/go/EAmUZxn- - a few months ago there was nothing but a (bad) coastline on the LINZ & it now has 160+ layers of information. Feel free to compare the detail in the above map to Google/Bing for the Chathams
- think through a bunch of issues around merging, managing, and updating data

>     *   how does OSM relate/compare to other initiatives, such as
> www.nztopomaps.com<http://www.nztopomaps.com>?

OSM is all about the data - the "maps" are a byproduct :) Once we get the data in and correctly mapped (matching the LINZ attributes to the OSM tags) then the map kinda falls out of it. Automatically, the same data is available for mobile apps, geocoders, and any other tool that uses OSM data.

>     *   what's been challenging/successful?

Challenging - getting time to work on it :) Successful - building tools that allow others to contribute was a huge win, we need to get that continuing.

>     *   who's funding/resourcing this project?

Nobody. Contributions welcome.

>     *   how does this work relate to the Geospatial Strategy?

Least of our worries. However, LINZ has made the Topo dataset available under a creative commons license for the purposes of adding it to OSM. Recently, parts of the cadastral data too so property boundaries, etc can appear at some point.

>     *   next steps?

Find more time!

- finish the tool to selectively help merge mainland areas for different layers
- get people doing the merge
- deal with the road data from NZOpenGPS, so we end up with nice road data including turn restrictions, etc

>     *   who's involved?

People on the NZOpenGIS list - myself, Glen Barnes, Hamish Bowman, Robin Paulson, Joe Richards, and a number of others.

>     *   who would you like to work with/what are some things that other
> agencies could do to improve the service on offer to users?

More data being made available under open licenses, particularly from local government.

It would be great to have a local (NZ-hosted) tile server to speed up the performance of OSM and OSM-based applications for kiwi users.

We need to work through the OSM licensing change (from a Creative Commons license to the Open Database License) with LINZ in the next few months.

If LINZ or anyone else sees the benefits in supporting OSM (there is *massive* interest globally, as evident by the participation at the StateOfTheMap conference in July) then I'm sure we can find a way for you to help!

>     *   who can I contact to find out more?

Get hold of me at robert.coup at koordinates.com, or on 09-966 0433.

Rob :)