[Aust-NZ] Fwd: RE: Aust-NZ Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 03:44:18 EDT 2010

Cameron wrote:
> If the process for pushing LINZ data to OSM has been mapped out (or is
> getting close to being mapped out), are there any technical reasons why
> an OSM->LINZ pipeline could not be put in place too?
>
> Thus providing LINZ with a pipeline of proposed corrections
> to their base datasets.

Yes, this is definitely something I'd like to see happen. I've got no
idea about the best way to go about it though, I suspect it would have
to be manual and opt-in by the individual OSM contributers, and designed
in a way to not flood LINZ with time-wasting trivialities.

Probably the best start would be to add a paragraph on the OSM wiki page
for the LINZ import saying where to report serious errors in the data, and
what sort of errors to report.
(e.g. off the top of my head, the coastline for Deas Cove in Doubtful Sound
is out by some dozens of meters; in places the online LINZ layer description
database lists a few building types which don't exactly match the data;
etc.)  All in all it is an extremely clean dataset to work with though and
we're very lucky to have it.

regards,
Hamish