[Aust-NZ] OSM Licensing - [was Fwd: RE: Aust-NZ Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:58:42 EDT 2010

On 8 September 2010 10:24, Robert Coup <robert.coup at koordinates.com> wrote:
> I'm not disagreeing, and in Australia & NZ datasets have traditionally been
> seen as being covered by copyright. However, the Australian Federal Court
> recently ruled that the content of the Yellow & White pages didn't have
> copyright:
> http://www.copyright.org.au/news/news_items/cases-news/2010-cases/federal-court-finds-white-and-yellow-pages-not-subject-to-copyright/

You are extrapolating from a basic dataset which was deemed to have no
creative content, to include maps because they may be stored in a
similar form.

What about SVG files, the raw data is XML information, although it
could also be stored in a database, and they do have creative
elements.

Also I was told by a lawyer locally that the phone book case is still
going through the appeal process.