[Aust-NZ] NZ Geo Placenames

Gavin Treadgold gt at kestrel.co.nz
Sun Apr 10 20:44:29 EDT 2011

On 2011-04-08, at 17:15 , Peter wrote:
> FTR, no one told me till now that the NZ fire service maintains a supposedly accurate placenames layer as part  of their extensive emergency services suburbs/localitys dataset. From looking around i found out that it is supplied by terralink for free but under a restrictive license. Having dealt with TLA data on this sort of basis i imagine that involves saying what you want it for, and signing a declaration.
> I understand this effectively precludes reuse/derived works of just about any kind from what ive heard.

Peter, you may be interested in the request(s) that are being made through the new agency data request functionality on data.govt.nz.

<http://www.data.govt.nz/requests>

The NZ Localities dataset maintained by the NZ Fire Service has been requested to be relicensed under CC-BY as fits with the new NZ GOAL framework. I'd encourage you to add a +vote ;)

I would encourage anyone interested in open NZ data to go to this page and vote up datasets they are interested in, and indeed add requests for new datasets. You don't have to register to vote. I believe this is a good means of indicating interest in lots of govt datasets through an official government channel.

Cheers Gav