[Aust-NZ] NZ Geo Placenames

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 21:20:37 EDT 2011

Hi Peter,

> 1. the shape file contains multiple features per MB. Ftools is taking a long
> time to merge these, 3% per hour, eta 30hrs. QGIS will crash before then im
> sure of it. But I tested it on 20 features and it has the desired result.

Qgis Ftools is not so good on this task as I experienced as well.
However, Spatialite works perfectly on type of task e.g. merging,
joining,etc. Just export your shapefile to spatialite. Do some
merging, joining, etc. in Spatialite, Dump the newly created tables to
Shapefile to get your shapefile.

Noli