[Aust-NZ] A couple of activities in Queensland

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:32:13 PDT 2012

> Codesmash appears to be an afternoon hacking this Sunday:
> - http://www.meetup.com/codeSmash/events/69914282/?a=wm1_5&rv=wm1

An amazing location (a portion of the room was devoted to people working on 3D printing machines).

Nathan has a blog post up:
And I only managed a couple of interoperability bug reports (working on using natural earth SLD styles and got stuck on version differences).
> OSGeo meetup in the CBD Monday after work:
> - http://www.meetup.com/osgeo-aust-nz/events/74380372/

1) The expected chat about GeoServer REST access did not go ahead as Patrick was not available (the joys of living in interesting times in QLD).

2) It turns out that a members are presenting at "Queensland Surveying and Spatial Conference"[1] in mid September. The conference apparently[2] has a focus on "open source projects". "open software, interfaces and web services" and "open data access". It would of been nice to engage the conference organisers about having an OSGeo presence, we should at least check if they are aware of our local chapter.

We discussed a couple of options for the Saturday after the conference, running workshops would no doubt step on their toes (as the conference has a portion of paid workshops). With the number of local members involved, and limited notice I don't think we are in position to do much more then a code sprint. With that in mind, I can contact "The Edge" (or the tech park that hosted "Code Smash" above) and look into prices. Would any one be interested in sponsoring such an activity?

3) Upcoming

What is happening in your area? Anything good …

Jody Garnett
[1] http://www.sssi.org.au/details/region/4/cat/280.html
[2] http://www.spatialsource.com.au/2012/07/03/article/SMDAXPNKYH.html