[Aust-NZ] meetups or other activates for the new year? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Thu Jan 5 17:26:29 EST 2012

@bruce, the bureacracy which I referred to was the stuff you ended up
holding, aka the baby. I agree, i think it is worthwhile revisiting the
guidelines and perhaps evaluating what should be done, if anything beyond
the current activity?

I'm not sure there are splinter groups as such, and I'm unaware of the
history of ASIBA, AFAIK these groups aren't  assuming any form of alternate
banner, and if there was an advantage to the adoption of a single banner
then Im sure individual groups would be keen to adopt it, also are we
really talking about a mass of groups, or just one or two?

Im happy to review the guidelines next week and come back to the list

On Friday, January 6, 2012, Bruce Bannerman <B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au> wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> I’m inclined to agree.
>
> I see greater benefit from a ‘virtual’ community, particularly
considering the broad geographic region the we cover.

> We don’t necessarily need an ‘entity’ as the ‘go to’ body for the Local
Chapter. The mailing list and Wiki could perhaps suffice.

> As I see it we have a reasonably robust community as it is (if rather
quiet at present).

> We’d perhaps just need to formalise our processes similar to those used
by an open source project and do a bit of house keeping as per the
guidelines at [1].

> I do not see a requirement to incorporate in these guidelines.
>
> @Jody, the incorporation, insurance etc was left on hold. I was left
holding the baby with little assistance in taking it forward. Starting a
new job at the time, together with helping to organise FOSS4G 2009 left me
with little time (or appetite) to further this task.

> @Simon,
>
> Looking through the email archives, I’m struggling to find the
bureaucracy that you’re referring to (perhaps that’s because I work in
Government ;-) ). What I do see are some very good technical discussions,
community building and very effective FOSS4G advocacy that brought wide
attention to our area of interest (including at our State and National
(Aust and NZ) leadership).

> As I’ve said before, I dislike the formation of splinter groups, as it
weakens the community and the value of the message that we’re trying to
deliver. We’d do a much better job speaking with one voice under the
OSGeo-AustNZ banner. That does not preclude local interest groups operating
under this banner. This is a lesson that the Spatial Industry learned from
the Spatial Action Agenda that the then ASIBA (now SIBA) launched with the
federal government in around 2001. We need to stay united and speak with
one voice.

> Bruce
>

> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>

> On 6/01/12 6:51 AM, "Cameron Shorter" <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Right, so osgeo aust-nz would change from unofficial to official in the
eyes of osgeo. I see very little benefit from that. I don't think we will
attract any more osgeo converts from such a title. (If we need an official
title, we can always call upon the greater OSGeo organisation).

>  However, I do see a large drain on volunteer time. As soon as we require
money to run, we need to worry about chasing people or organisations for
membership fees, which is an unpleasant task which sucks up lots of
valuable volunteer times.

>  On 05/01/12 11:06, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>  The benefit would be an OSGeo local chapter; right now we have not
"formed" as I understand it and are still listed as under construction on
the OSGeo wiki.

> While I don't mind speaking as a OSGeo charter member at functions; it
would be nice to have a local chapter in the region.

> My understanding is that OSGeo seems to be taking a real turn for getting
out of the way and letting local chapters do the work. I expect the
 formation of a "north american" local chapter to be the final step in this
process.