[Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSSGEO FOSS4G 2018 | Potential for Melbourne? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:18:20 PST 2016

Hi Ben,
Rotation is:

Europe (2016)
North America (2017)
Rest of World (2018)
back to Europe.

A successful FOSS4G depends upon drawing a large local/regional
attendance, which is a challenge for us in Australia as we are a small
nation surrounded by ocean and desert.

One of the things the selection criteria look for is a proven track
record putting on successful local FOSS4G events.
So if you would like to see Melbourne considered, I'd suggest start by
setting up a smaller local FOSS4G in 2017 targeting just Australia/NZ.

If you have that in place, and some other compelling regions don't put a
proposal together, then Melbourne could be considered. (Other compelling
regions might be India, South America, Africa)

If you are serious about chairing a conference, I suggest start by
reading our previous lessons learned:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Lessons_Learned

--
Cameron Shorter,