[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: update & next committee meeting

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 23:40:34 PST 2017

Hi all,

By way of an update on things I'm aware of, a few items of note:

   - David Dean is currently seeking support from OSM Foundation for use of
   the SOTM trademark.
   - A wiki page has been created at
   https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania (but it's pretty sparse
   so far). Please feel free to edit this page and add content!
   - Daniel Silk has a colleague who may be interested in attempting a
   logo. Likely others will want to do this as well. It will probably pay to
   be proactive, and create a logo brief... anyone wish to take a lead on this
   (Daniel perhaps?)?
   - We've already started receiving suggestions for venues, and have been
   approached by the Melbourne Convention Bureau. We need to make early
   progress on our choice of venue, as it's potentially a major component of
   the budget and we need to understand our costs ASAP.

We agreed at last week's meeting that we'd aim to meet again around the
18th (Monday week). Before this meeting, there are some things we
should/could tackle:

   - *Finalise minutes.* The Google Doc
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wBys9xsDxm7rFFBiQFqjQxyAhn5QspNqbcgNYjArcks>
   is a good place to edit minutes, but I think we need a more permanent
   record of decisions and meeting notes. Can everyone who attending this
   meeting please review the minutes, and discuss/comment/edit as needed, by
   this coming Monday 11th? Once finalised, we can then grab a static copy of
   the minutes and post them on the wiki.
   - *Discuss conference length*. At the last meeting, there was some
   discussion about whether the conference (exclusive of workshops and code
   sprint/hackathon/mapathon) should be 1 day or 2 (for a total event length
   of 3 or 4 days). This wasn't resolved then, but again, as a major factor in
   determining the shape of the event (and thus cost, logistics, venue etc),
   we need to come to terms with this. I suggest we discuss by mailing list
   leading up to the meeting, and try to make a decision at the meeting.
   - *Discuss dates*. Currently, this stands at 'some time in
   November(ish)'. There is a document in the Google Drive
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-bueIooYwUH6q8PQIH0J0Ou_KOpWhmJQl9Qa690z_Ao>
with
   a number of other relevant events on the calendar, and a sheet to help us
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-bueIooYwUH6q8PQIH0J0Ou_KOpWhmJQl9Qa690z_Ao/edit#gid=1314617119>
   narrow down dates. Having a set date will allow us to begin promoting the
   event in earnest, and get people to save the date in their own calendars. I
   suggest we review & discuss these dates, and attempt to choose a week
   either at the meeting, or beforehand.
   - *Review & discuss roles*. There is a preliminary list of roles (or
   committees) identified in the Planning Document
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YPF3fOsClnYrMXe68_01eF2tc8NwZlDxliWIkWby014/edit#>,
   this would be a good time for folks to contribute to discussion around how
   we break up & share the work. Some of these roles can be filled by one
   person, some might require a group to take on the relevant tasks. If you
   have thoughts around this, please chime in. And by all means put your hands
   up for stuff you want to take on!

Let's pick a time for the next meeting, Doodle poll here:
https://doodle.com/poll/c8tfkxtcqdpw8545. We did say the 18th, but I've
also added the 19th in as an option in case it works better for people.
I'll tally up the votes at the end of the day on Thursday.

Suggested agenda (please add items that are on your mind!):

   - Decide on conference length
   - Decide on dates
   - Discuss roles, in the context of early priorities (see timeline
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mU6beJA7NteqCNQ6iW7LpCL-06lwwxnESnvcRAY6nT8/edit#gid=0>,
   and please feel free to edit it)
   - ...

It might be an idea to open new threads on this mailing list for specific
discussions. Looking forward to hearing what's on people's minds!

Cheers
John