[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Daniel Silk dsilk at linz.govt.nz
Thu Dec 14 17:15:44 PST 2017

I see a number of benefits in a two day conference.

Some attendees will not be interested in attending the pre-conf workshops or post-conf code sprint so two days of conference material makes travel costs more viable. It also creates a logical conference dinner slot between the two conference days, and a logical slot for an icebreaker type get together on the evening of the workshops. The recent QGIS event in Sydney was great but I really would have appreciated more time to network - with a one day conference, a lot of people will be catching flights immediately before and after which closes the door on these opportunities.

FOSS4G covers a broad range of software and topics, and we have SotM also. Covering all of this in one day would seem like a huge squeeze to me.
We could start by finding out how many potential talks we have just from those that have been involved in the early discussions..? Could we even fit that into a day?

Cheers
Daniel