[Belgium] Small presentation

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Wed Apr 20 03:07:59 PDT 2016

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to OSGeo.
Thank you for your introduction, and maybe you should consider to put it
on the OSGeo wiki, where you can create a user profile.

I was contributing in Ghent on the Missing Maps Mapathon, and couldn't
be at the OSGeoDevEvening, but I’m sure we will have the opportunity to
meet in the near future.

Dirk.

On 19-04-16 18:33, Jonathan Beliën wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Very happy to join you.
> I probably met some of you yesterday at OSGeoDevEvening (very nice by
> the way) and Moritz last Saturday at Missing Maps Mapathon (also very nice).
>
> I'm a Web Developer from Brussels.
>
> I work as employee in a small company from Laeken (Brussels) named GEO-6
> since 2005.
> We mainly develop web applications using web mapping.
> At first we used our own MapServer (developed by a former employee -
> running under Windows to display MapInfo files) with our own JavaScript
> library to display and interact with the map. Yes, we totally reinvented
> the wheel ... not very clever I agree.
>
> In 2013, we finally decided to switch from Windows to Linux and switch
> from our custom map applications (difficult to maintain) to open-source
> solutions. We choose to use OSGeo MapServer, Leaflet JS Library and the
> power of GDAL library. Very (VERY) happy to have switched even if today
> I regret to have chosen Leaflet over OpenLayers (which seemed a little
> bit "old") and so currently (slowly) migrating from Leaflet to OpenLayers 3.
>
> I also work as Freelance Web Developer on my spare time. Also in web
> development but not "limited" to web mapping applications.
>
> I'm an OpenStreetMap member since 2012 but did my first real
> contribution last Saturday (not very proud about having waited 4 years
> to finally contribute) : http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/jbelien
>
> Small publicity on a personnal project :
> https://github.com/jbelien/MapFile-PHP-Library (Library to read/write
> MapServer mapfile using PHP).
>
> As I said to Moritz and Marc, I will gladly help if you need me
> (whatever the help needed).
>
> Great evening to everyone.
> See you soon.
>
> Jonathan Beliën