[Belgium] 5 new charter members

Roel Huybrechts roel at huybrechts.re
Thu Oct 6 12:08:25 PDT 2016

Dear Moritz, Jeff, all,

Thank you for the warm welcome! Let me introduce myself a little bit.

At work, I'm a GIS consultant for Realdolmen. At the moment I'm working
for the Flemish government, department DOV, where we manage and publish
all data related to the soil and the subsoil of Flanders. This ranges
from soilmaps, geological formations, boreholes to groundwater data. We
do so almost exclusively using OSGeo tools: PostGIS, Geoserver,
Geonetwork and QGis to name a few.

In my spare time I like playing around with other open-source tools (I'm
a long time Debian user). I recently started playing around with Mapnik
again, to produce some interesting maps of OpenStreetMap data joined
together with Open Data from the government and historical maps of my
hometown. Hope to share them with you soon.

This year I had the fantastic opportunity to attend my first global
FOSS4G conference (after attening our first Belgian FOSS4G last year)
and speak about the tablet app I made using QGis [1]. It was a great
experience and I loved meeting the community behind the projects I use
on a daily basis. With this membership I'd like to become a (more
active) part of this community, spreading the OSGeo spirit in Belgium.

Other conferences I attended include FOSDEM [2] (I was once active in
the Ubuntu-be/-nl teams) and more recently I helped out at State of the
Map [3] as a volunteer. I also try to attend the Missing Maps Mapathons
[4] of HOT (Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team), organised regularly at
IPIS (Antwerp), MSF (Brussels) or elsewhere.

Besided all this geekyness I love hiking in the mountains (which we do
not have in Belgium, unfortunately), riding my bike (on flat terrain,
which we do have, yay!), gardening and playing boardgames. Also: I
recently bought a canoe, which will be fun!

@Moritz: I requested an account on the wiki just now, I'll add the link
to my page afterwards :)

[1] Slides and video at: http://roel.huybrechts.re/
[2] https://fosdem.org/