[Belgium] Historical GIS

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 01:51:34 PDT 2022

Hi Wim,

As far as I know current cadastral data, there are no significant changes
to parcels without there also being a change of unique ID. So you can have
a spatial database with all the parcels with a start and end date, which
would allow you to get a "current" version for any date. It would probably
also work if you create a single dataset with a version for each year. Less
work to query data, but much more duplicate data.
If you then have a separate owner database which contains the ownership of
parcel ID and a start and end date of the ownership, it shouldn't be much
of an issue to relate tables.

It of course gets a bit complicated with several owners and several
properties on a single parcel. An issue might also be that some changes
could be considered insignificant but look huge. For example, say I own a
forest, and split off a tiny parcel to sell. Then both parcels would (I
think) be "new", without there being an obvious way to say "oh but on the
largest part nothing changed".

Op ma 4 apr. 2022 om 22:51 schreef Wim Van Hout <wim at vanhout.net>:

> Dear,
>
> I am creating a historical GIS in Qgis (shapefiles) starting from the
> primitive land register (1832) and I am looking for the ideal way to link
> successive owners and other data to features, considering that the features
> can also change over time.
>
> What is the ideal method and/or the ideal structure of such a database?
>
> Thanks in advanced!
>
> Wim van Hout

Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |