[Benchmarking] Output quality: open question for benchmarking

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Mon Aug 31 11:09:46 EDT 2009

Hi,
one open question remaining about the benchmarking are:
1) the output format (jpeg, png 24 bit, png 8 bit, gif?)
2) antialiasing (enabled, or not?)
3) interpolation (nearest neighbour, bilinear, bicubic?)

About 1) I would say jpeg should be the output format
for raster datasets. Not sure about the vector ones.

Past years we tried antialiasing enabled with png 24 bits,
and antialising disabled with png 8 bits.
Not sure today it still makes much sense to work with
antialiasing disable thought. Opinions?

As for interpolation, that concerns only rasters,
I'm open to both solutions. Real world wise I see
people tend to add bilinear interpolation to get
better looking results when people go past the
native resolution. Yes, lame, the software should
not allow that, but generic clients such as
QGis and uDig do not set any real limit.

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime