[Benchmarking] Coordination

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Sat Jun 13 02:58:42 EDT 2009

Paul Ramsey ha scritto:
> OK, while we wait for access to the box, can we start thinking about
> what we want to test? I have started a wiki page for this here:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2009

Some random ideas:
- what's the mix of stores for those layers? Shapefile, postgis,
   SDE, Oracle?
- let's do again a large raster layer? Again MrSID, or shall we
   use JPEG2000, or ECW? (last year quite a bit of people asked
   me why I did not use ECW, the answer being that I was not
   comfortable with licensing)
- what about an image mosaic with 100-1000 tiles?
- we could also take OSM data from a city and do a OSM like
   styling of it? Maybe a bit simplified in order to keep
   all the servers on the same line (e.g., if one server
   cannot do styling X it may fall back on a simpler, faster
   option, invalidating the comparison)
- using again the roads layer, what about a style dependent
   on the zoom level test? Only highway scaled out, everything
   deeper in?
- point layer with externally provided symbol, like an
   SVG or a PNG icon?

Oh, mosaic wise, there was quite a thread on OSGEO discuss
about mosaics on the fs vs mosaic in a database. Well, GeoServer
does happen to have both options now. I guess a comparison
between the two could prove entertaining, even if it's a GS
only show? (to be included right after the cross server mosaic test?)

Cheers
Andrea