[Benchmarking] Software veersions to be used

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Sat Oct 3 15:45:29 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Jeff and I have been looking into the current benchmarking situation today.
The good news is that we have the benchmarking tools setup, the servers
installed, and the data is ready on some data providers and being setup
on the others.

The bad news is that FOSS4G is coming up fast and everybody is short on
time, we've added Oracle tests to the mix just recently, and we still
have to come up with an interesting presentation!

We both feel that we have to reduce the number of tests we're going to
run in order to have some time to interpret the results and make
improvements before the upcoming event.  Therefore, we strongly suggest
to only test one version of the software - the best version available
(development or otherwise) - to cut down the number of tests to be run
and presented.

In the GeoServer case, GeoServer 2.0.0 RC2 will be used.  In the
MapServer case, MapServer 5.6.0 (or the latest available beta) will be
used. We're not sure what ArcGIS server version will be used, but we're
under the impression ESRI was going to participate with just one version
anyways (please confirm).

Cheers
Andrea and Jeff