[Benchmarking] Comparison: avg time or throughput?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 15 17:11:04 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Andrea Aime wrote:
>> As I said before on IRC the setup using only 8 workers is imho not
>> realistic, as slow clients and bigger requests might keep
>> the workers busy for a long time, basically resulting in a denial
>> of service (but I'm not sure how FCGI works, if Apache gathers
>> the output to disk and streams it out later it might work for the
>> WMS case if you make sure no one can make request taking a lot
>> of time).
>> But if the target is throughput in a local network enviroment
>> the configuration has to be tweaked accordingly (and I miss numbers
>> for SDE and raster data in that case).
>
> Andrea,
>
> I'll try resetting the configuration to use 20 static servers, and see
> if it makes a noticable effect on throughput.  I see your point that with
> only 8 fastcgi servers it only takes 8 relatively slow clients to bring
> things to a halt.

Andrea,

I have rerun the bigtiff 5.6 fastcgi case and get:

Label   Count   Avg     Min     Max     Errors  Throughput
1       100     88      20      225     0       11.1
10      200     307     25      2065    0       26.7
20      400     606     19      8312    0       27.4
40      800     1254    16      17769   0       27.3

instead of:

Label   Count   Avg     Min     Max     Errors  Throughput
1       100     92      22      234     0       10.6
10      200     328     19      1627    0       26.5
20      400     625     18      2996    0       27.4
40      800     1378    26      4095    0       27.1

The numbers were close enough that I was suspicious and I have confirmed
all 20 static servers were running.  I would note they are very low memory,
only about 60MB resident.

So, it *seems* upping the number of static servers to handle slow clients
does not dramatically alter the results.

(actually, it does seem to introduce some large "max" values
which surprises me.  These are repeatable.)

I am now restoring back to the 8 server configuration.

Best regards,