[Benchmarking] Vector layers: towards a definitive list of styles and layers

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Thu Sep 3 09:24:15 EDT 2009

Daniel Morissette ha scritto:
>> We also decided we'll run some tests against PNG24 with full
>> antialiasing, and some others against PNG8 (or was it GIF)
>> without antialiasing.
>>

> I believe we decided to go with GIF instead of PNG8 in the end. From the
> IRC logs:

Thanks for confirming-

>> So here is a proposal of what we could test:
>>
>> - texas_roads_styled, png24, full antialiasing, no labels,
>>   with the style suggested here:
>>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Texas_roads_styled
>> - point_layer_styled using gnis_pop, png24, full antialiasing,
>>   style tbd (see other mails)
>> - polygon_layer_styled, png8 (gif), no antialiasing, a mix
>>   or solid fill and textured fills maybe?
>
> We could use that as a starting point. If we have time left at the end
> (which I doubt) we could always add more styling cases.
>
> I think it could be interesting to test roads with labels as well (do
> all servers support curved labels?), but as I just wrote we can keep
> that for the end if we have time.

Sure, I'm game with curved labels as well. For those it would
be interesting to have in the test some place where the roads
are really curved (with 90° bends or something).
Something like this:
http://maps.trimet.org/?zoom=6&lat=672441&lon=7637762&layers=B0FTTFF

Out of this test we could also add a slide comparing labelling
by different engines (so the visuals instead of the performance).
Would add an interesting extra to talk about, as better labelling
is usually more expensive as well.

Cheers
Andrea

--