[Benchmarking] Re: MapServer and FastCGI

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 16 12:39:39 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> My next step is to get fastcgi support working.  I see that mapserv
> is already built with fastcgi support, but the new RedHat install does
> not include fastcgi enabling.  I successfully copied the already built
> mod_fastcgi.so into the modules directory and added some config stuff
> per:
>
>   http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/fastcgi.html
>
> in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.
>
> However, when I restart apache and make a fastcgi request I get:
>
> [Mon Sep 07 18:55:22 2009] [crit] (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: can't
> create (dynamic) server "/var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv.fcgi": bind() failed
> [/etc/httpd/logs/fastcgi/dynamic/21101a51ad85e2f709e90c65b23e7e6a]

Folks,

I switched off selinux in an attempt to fix this, but it turned out the
issue was root only rwx permissions on /var/logs/httpd.  For some reason
the default pipe creation location is under this.

I have taken the liberty of making this log directory world readable and
traversable and now fastcgi access is working.

eg.

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.fcgi?map=/opt/msmaps/raster.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

on the server itself.

At this point I believe we are ready to start performance testing the
MapServer raster configuration, though I will at some point want to also
build a development-trunk version of mapserver which includes a few
performance improvements likely to help performance.

Best regards,