[Benchmarking] JMeter problems on 1cpu benchmarking server.

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Wed Sep 16 13:28:17 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> Folks,
>
> Following up on Andrea's JMeter and summarize script email, I have given it
> a spin.  However, I'm running into problems on the 1 cpu benchmarking
> server
> which we were planning to use for JMeter.
>
> in /opt/msmaps:
>
> [fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ cat ecw.sh
> #!/bin/bash
> jmeter -p jmeter.properties -n -t ecw.xml  -l out.jtl
> -Djava.awt.headless=true
> [fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ ./ecw.sh
> An error occurred:
> No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation
> which requires it.
> [fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ tail jmeter.log
>         at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:163)
>         at org.apache.jmeter.gui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:131)
>         at org.apache.jmeter.JMeter.startGui(JMeter.java:223)
>         at org.apache.jmeter.JMeter.start(JMeter.java:343)
>         at
>
>         at

>         at org.apache.jmeter.NewDriver.main(NewDriver.java:207)
>
> My understanding from Andrea and a web search is that the
> java.awt.headless=true should have run things without needing an X11
> connection but it does not seem to work.

It took me some time to actually try and look in the jmeter launcher
script located in /usr/local/bin... where I totally forgot to forwad the
arguments to the arguments passed from the caller.

Now, the missing bits, imho, is to hack that script so that one does
not really have to specify the property file and the summarizer, which
is still to be uploaded, gets called automatically.
So that by just calling:

jmeter myscript.jmx

one gets out the summary results and the full requests log in
myscript.jtl or, proabbly simpler, myscript.jmx.jtl

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime