[Benchmarking] Testing mosaics, how fine grained?

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Mon Sep 21 17:46:50 EDT 2009

Hi,
mosaic wise I was wondering if we should try out more fine grained
setups? At the moment we have these eight 1.8GB tiles set, I was
wondering how realistic it is, and what indications we
should provide to people trying to setup raster data to the
respective servers.

E.g., will a mosaic made of 128 files perform worse (I guess so).
By how much? What is the gain in preprocessing the files so they
get close to the bigtiff limit? Any improvement in going fully
bigtiff (ok, this is something I won't be able to answer with
GeoServer, but the progression from 128 to just 8 would be interesting.

I guess it also matters a lot how the mosaic is used, free zoom
access or clamped to nearly the native resolution?

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime