[Benchmarking] Testing setup (following up Adrian Custer questions)

Adrian Custer adrian.custer at geomatys.fr
Mon Aug 9 08:16:59 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 13:08 +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Adrian Custer ha scritto:
> >> I was planning to modify last year jmx to have a progression
> >> of 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 threads, each group making enough requests
> >> to stabilize the average (I'd say 200, 200, 400, 400, 400, 400, 800,
> >> 800). As usual I'm open to suggestions, but I'd suggest to avoid
> >> too many requests, we have many servers and we cannot afford the total
> >> run to take various hours.
> >>
> >> As far as I know one csv is sufficient, all threads pick the next value
> >> from the shared csv as if it was a shared input queue (and roll over to
> >> the start if it ends, but we'll generate enough requests to make sure
> >> no two requests are ever run in the same session)
> >
> > Could you please point me to the file you actually used for last year's
> > test on the SVN.
>
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/scripts/mapserver/raster/bluemarble.csv
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/scripts/csv/dallas.csv
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/scripts/csv/texas.csv
>
> > All the files I have recuperated from there and
> > subsequently fed to jmeter did not have this behaviour.
>
> I actually did not check, just trusted the documentation:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#CSV_Data_Set_Config
>
> Quoting:
>
> By default, the file is only opened once, and each thread will use a
> different line from the file. However the order in which lines are
> passed to threads depends on the order in which they execute, which may
> vary between iterations. Lines are read at the start of each test
> iteration. The file name and mode are resolved in the first iteration.

Yeah, I saw that documentation too but could not reproduce the supposed
behaviour. The only way I have found so far requires splitting up the
CSV files.

Could you please point me to the *jmx file you used last year? In the
mapserver folder, I found a whole bunch so I am not sure which was used.
Since I don't want to get responses, but only to generate requests I can
generate bogus .cvs files, the values are unimportant.

Thanks,

--adrian