[Benchmarking] Odd results in qix index comparison

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 2 12:21:26 EDT 2010

Andrea Aime wrote:
> Can someone have a look into this? Maybe it's just a problem in
> the shptreevis conversion utility having troubles with the large
> qix files (the ones I'm using for GeoServer are significantly smaller)
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> PS: btw, shptreeview is a quite nice utility, thanks for sharing :-)

Andrea,

I have determined this is just a bug in shptreevis when translating a
.qix file with more nodes in the quadtree than there are shapes being
indexed.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10496

This does raise the question as to why we are bothering to write out nodes
with zero shapes instead of pre-pruning them and for that matter why the
mapserver generated .qix files are produced so deep (16 levels) when the
8 levels produced by mapserver are plenty.

Best regards,