[Benchmarking] Meeting summary - May 11 + OSM import plan

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Thu May 12 02:02:01 EDT 2011

On 11.05.2011, at 17:36, Dane Springmeyer wrote:
> # Key Decisions
> As a group we decided to use the imposm tool (http://imposm.org/) to import OSM data into PostGIS. This will provide a common source of data for the "vector" test.
>
> Pros of imposm where discussed:
> [...]
> Cons were:
>  * None discussed. Hopefully we can use this mailing list to understand any drawbacks - Only potential I can see is that it has a more flexible output schema than osm2pgsql so those of us familiar with osm2pgsql will need to adjust a bit.

Jeff asked me if imposm supports Windows. I'm not sure if everyone was aware of it, but it only runs on unix systems, because one library is not available on Windows. Imposm can import from the Linux host to a PostGIS on the Windows host, though.
Don't know if that does change anyone's mind.

For the DB schema:
Here is a list of all tables that imposm creates by default:
http://imposm.org/docs/imposm/latest/database_schema.html

Here is the configuration of the default mapping:
https://bitbucket.org/olt/imposm/src/tip/imposm/defaultmapping.py
You can see which OSM tags are included in which table.
I'll post a complete PostgreSQL schema in the wiki.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de