[Benchmarking] Ideas for next year

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Sat Sep 17 01:23:35 EDT 2011

Hi all,

During some beers at the Wynkoop, I had an idea that I think is worth sharing.

Until now, the results focus on throughtput per number of concurrent requests.
This is fine, but other metrics are possible.

Then, I heard that Mapnik excels at requests with few vector features, while
Mapserver does a very good job when there are many vector features to be
rendered.

You can guess where this goes. I will propose that, for next year (years?),
requests should be classified into groups depending on the number of features
contained in that extent. e.g. requests with <10 feats, 10-50, 50-100,
100-500, >500. Measure latency/throughput for every group, put the results in
a graph.

I don't know if this is feasible. Anyway, will see you tomorrow at the Code
Sprint,

Un ordenador no es una televisión ni un microondas: es una herramienta
compleja.