[Benchmarking] Rebooting the Benchmarking effort

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Wed Sep 4 07:51:04 PDT 2013

On 04.09.2013 15:06, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> I feel that we could use the presentation timeslot to sort of have a
> town hall discussion on the benchmarking exercise.  It's an insanely
> popular presentation, so let's talk about it in the open.  Maybe
> request microphones for the audience beforehand to the LOC.  Could be
> very interesting, and beneficial.
>
> -jeff

Yes, but no. Usually nothing reasonable comes from any randombody in the
audience at this type of high level slot. You only get quick shots. So
we either fake this with somebody sitting there who has spent weeks
pondering this issues (maybe you, Andrea, Daniel, Jachym and others
sneak into the audience anonymously :-) or we just get shallow proposals
that are never followed up on. At least that is my impression. I'd
rather spend 10 minutes of the slot to make a good pitch for future
sponsors - be it for OSGeo directly or a specific fund drive we run for
benchmarking. For that I'd need board direction. Or maybe not. You tell
me :-)

Have fun,
Seven