Mailing lists not delivering mail to everyone

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Thu Apr 13 11:38:28 PDT 2006

First, please post anything that you think is a problem to our
Project Tracker at https://webcommittee.osgeo.org/servlets/Scarab The
web committee does need to understand what issues are related to
CollabNet as part of ensuring the entire site is running smoothly.
This is preferred to document issues and feed them to me for
reporting back to CollabNet.

There is a simple answer to some of the behavior. A list that is
configured as 'discuss' will not accept emails from non members for
any reason. This is to limit spam and spurious postings. You either
need to have it unmoderated or moderated to allow messages to be
posted from outside the list membership. A list, when replying, is
looked at as a user, thus the list is also filtered as a non-member.
Convoluted, but but perfectly logical behavior for a discuss list.

Remember that a list will also not propagate a cc. These are
processed and originate from your email server - not from CollabNet.
The list's only responsibility is to post to its members. Thus to get
a cc to each list for each reply, you need to ensure the cc is there
via a  reply-all.  Obviously still a possible issue if someone does
not get a message from either list as a subscriber. I would need more
information to study this further.

As to single posts or no posts for people in multiple lists, I do not
know why that is true and will talk to the experts at CollabNet to
see if there is indeed some undocumented behavior.

Daniel Brookshier | Community Manager | CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Blvd. Suite 600 | Brisbane, CA 94005 | USA
O 972.422.5261 | C 214.207.6614 | dbrookshier at collab.net