[OSGeo-Board] Logos

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 21 10:36:58 PDT 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:

> Daniel mentioned there was also some kind of legal liability consideration;
> I have no idea how visual trademarking works, or how it's reasonable
> to check out graphics for infringement, whether there are 'logo-sharks'
> like domain sharks, whether this is something that really needs to be
> worried about before the logo question even goes up for a vote, as
> vetting, if it's necessary, could be expensive and timeconsuming.
>
> What's the voting process going to be; voting members email an
> address, and someone hand-correlates the results?
> https://www.osgeo.org/content/news/news_archive/logo_contest.html
> suggests that
> [[ All members of OSGeo (anyone with an account on the OSGeo.org
> website) will be allowed to place a single vote. In the case of a tie,
> the Web Committee will have the final say. ]]

Jo,

I believe the plan is that any user registered on the web site
can vote.

I'm curious as to how this will work mechanically.

> Is the timescale for the final vote, something to be decided here, or
> within WebCom?

It is WebCom's responsibility.

> I definitely agree with Arnulf's suggestion that what gets picked
> needs to be professionally "finished" by a graphic designer, and
> wonder if there's budget for that.

I would not be adverse to bringing in some professional consulting for
the log, website design and so forth if we can't cough something up
internally.  I would note that lots of the web mapping consulting shops
(*cough* Fred *cough*) have excellent professional design skills and might
be prevailed upon to do as well as an outside professional.