ED Candidate at Face to Face, FOSS4G

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 09:19:44 PDT 2006

Folks,

Our preferred ED candidate was not expecting to be able to attend FOSS4G
due to time and financial considerations.

I think it is very important for the candidate to attend the Face to Face
meetings, and to be at the conference (at least part of it).   This
ensures the board and the candidate can hammer out priorities, and
a working relationship in person.  I think the hiring of the ED will also
be a major announcement for OSGeo at the conference, and we want the
candidate to be out "pressing the flesh", and being available as "a face
of OSGeo" (not really *the* face, though like the main face).

The ED position, to be effective, clearly needs a substantial travel
budget as we noted in the San Rafael F2F.  I would like to propose that
OSGeo cover travel, conference fees, and a hotel for said candidate to
attend the F2F and conference out of this future travel budget.

Are there are objections?  Will we need a formal motion for something
like this?  I think it needs to be settled fairly soon or the costs
may escalate.