[OSGeo-Board] Re: OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation, etc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 15 08:05:54 PST 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I too can't follow discussions on a Wiki as well as a mailing list.
> People need to be able to easily search for old messages and follow
> threads. Mailing lists and indexed archives for them are a proven
> approach.
>
> I really think it's bad for the foundation to have a diffuse
> communication strategy like this. Our communications need to be targeted
> and easy to find. Moving some to a Wiki not at our domain and some to
> mailing lists is a bad move in terms of promoting our visibility. Put
> more technically: we want the Google site: qualifier to be really useful
> to people.

Gary,

This suggests to me that we should push forward moving the wiki properly
into the osgeo.org domain rather than discouraging it's use.  Though
doing so does, I think, mean we have to be more careful about distinguishing
what is a foundation position vs. the idle musings of one or two
individuals.