[OSGeo-Board] Re: OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation, etc

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Wed Feb 15 08:17:24 PST 2006

Right. How would you distinguish these?

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:fwarmerdam at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam (External)
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:06 AM
To: board at board.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Board] Re: OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation,
etc

Gary Lang wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I too can't follow discussions on a Wiki as well as a mailing list.
> People need to be able to easily search for old messages and follow
> threads. Mailing lists and indexed archives for them are a proven
> approach.
>
> I really think it's bad for the foundation to have a diffuse
> communication strategy like this. Our communications need to be
> targeted and easy to find. Moving some to a Wiki not at our domain and

> some to mailing lists is a bad move in terms of promoting our
> visibility. Put more technically: we want the Google site: qualifier
> to be really useful to people.

Gary,

This suggests to me that we should push forward moving the wiki properly
into the osgeo.org domain rather than discouraging it's use.  Though
doing so does, I think, mean we have to be more careful about
distinguishing what is a foundation position vs. the idle musings of one
or two individuals.

warmerdam at pobox.com