[OSGeo-Board] FW: shirt logos

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jul 26 08:03:13 PDT 2006

If by not doing our due diligence on this -- do we not risk third
parties preventing us from our own freedom to use our own logos and wording?

Also - if OSGeo is being misrepresented by a third party - is that OK?
Are we comfortable with allowing anybody to use OSGeo in any context
they desire? By having adequate legal protection, we at least reserve
the right to take action *if* a real problem should come up.

I don't have the answers to these questions as I'm not a lawyer -- but
that's why I think taking legal opinion seriously on this is important.

If Trademark registration gives us the freedom to behave in the way we
want to as an organization, is that not a good thing?

Dave