FDO - Distinct project or part of MapGuide?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 7 09:35:03 PST 2006

Folks,

I see there is an http://fdo.osgeo.org domain. FDO (Feature Data Objects) is
the data access layer used by MapGuide OS as well as some other Autodesk
products (I think).  Roughly speaking it plays a similar role to GDAL/OGR.
 From my slanted point of view, I am at least as excited about the open
sourcing of FDO as I am about MapGuide.

But the question I have is whether FDO is considered a distinct top level
project of the foundation or whether it is just a sub-activity of MapGuide
that happens to get a top level domain.   If it is to be treated as distinct
project with it's own PSC, then I think it ought to be added to our projects
list, initiated into incubation and so forth.  If it is just considered a
subproject of MapGuide OS, subject to the MapGuide OS PSC then that is fine
with me too.