[OSGeo-Board] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO logo contest - when?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Mar 9 09:10:55 PST 2006

Daniel Brookshier wrote:
> The list behavior is the default and only behavior. The CollabNet
> platform is meant for collaboration and hitting 'reply' is a  preferred
> behavior in that case. I have submitted a request however  to ask if
> this is a hidden option that can be switched by operations.  I'll let
> you know if it is possible. I have seen complaints before  rebuffed over
> the years, let's see what happens.
You're kidding, right?  One of Collabnet's best employees (well, at
least in my opinion), prefers list software to never touch the reply-to
header (though as part of a reasoned debate on the effectiveness of both).

And this _must_ be possible, tigris is running on collabnet, no?

 From the subversion Mailing list etiquette link:

 >Make sure to use your mailreader's "Follow-up" or "Reply-to-all" or
"Group reply" feature when responding to a list post. Otherwise, your
mail will only go to the author of the original post, not to the whole
list. Unless there's a reason to reply privately, it's always better to
respond to the list, so everyone can watch and learn. (Also, many people
who frequently get private responses to their posts have indicated that
they would prefer those responses to go to the list instead.)

 >Note that the Subversion mailing lists do not modify the Reply-to
header to redirect responses to the list. They leave Reply-to set to
whatever the original sender had, for the reasons listed in
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html, in particular the
"Principle of Least Damage" and "Can't Find My Way Back Home" sections.
 From time to time, someone posts asking why we don't set the Reply-to
header. Sometimes that person will mention
http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml, which gives arguments
in favor of modifying the Reply-to field. The list administrators are
aware of both documents, and see that both sides of the argument have
merits, but in the end have chosen not to modify the Reply-to headers.
Please don't resurrect the topic.

I wouldn't mind the board list being reply-to all, but I don't think the
default for osgeo lists should be.

Chris