[OSGeo-Board] Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Edu committee calendar

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 12 07:39:54 PDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi board,
>
> [discussion where to put iCal based committee calendars and
> how to manage it. Currently "Project Developer" role is needed
> to be able to modify a iCal calendar file in a committee SVN
> repository which adds probably security issues (one click and
> the entire project is away...!)].

Markus,

I'm afraid I have been ignoring the iCal discussions till now.
Is the intention that each committee would publish it's own iCal
file that lets people know when the next meeting(s) are?  If so,
wouldn't it just the committee chair who would need to update it?

If instead we are trying to manage a central calendar file with
all OSGeo activities, then a calendar project, as suggested by
DanielB might be sensible.  We can then make anyone a project
developer of that pseudo-project who might need to add to the
calendar.

However, in generaly I am hesitant to have yet another technology
and another thing that committee and working group chairs are expected
to do.

> Copying here from EduCom-discuss:
>
> On 5/12/06, Daniel Brookshier <turbogeek at cluck.com> wrote:
>> Hi Puneet, no need to cc, I read the discuss list.
>>
>> Actually you can just add a role to a user, not need to remove the
>> role. If you want to use ics, it might be better to create a calendar
>> project to manage users with write permission a bit better.
>>
>> Google is probably a good choice too. Who cares if it is the next
>> evil empire, it's great now.
>
> Personally I don't quite agree.
> We are having an OSGeo infrastructure, we are paying enough money
> for its maintenance and so we should also be able to manage a
> calendar onsite.

The infrastructure we are paying for has certain features and lacks
certain features.  The deal was never that it would do everything.
We do have some flexibility with regard to services setup on our
own servers though if that helps.

 > To spread pieces here and there, in particular
> to other closed source/proprietary companies doesn't make much
> sense for me.

Fair enough as an opinion, though in my opinion using a best-of-breed
web service that we aren't hosting ourselves may make sense in some
cases.  For instance, we use the world clock thing even though we
aren't hosting it.