GISCorps contact

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Nov 20 13:45:15 PST 2006

Hey all, just wanted to report on a nice conversation I had with Juna
Papajorgji, who is one of the leads of GISCorps: http://www.giscorps.org/

It sounds like a very cool organization, and though we didn't come up
with an specific collaborations there's definitely some great potential
to work together.  They have a number of volunteers who want to work on
GIS projects.  They have some nice philosophies, like not having any
paid staff, and not taking any 'software sponsorships' (which in my mind
are mostly marketing, and getting you stuck on their stuff so they can
'upsell').  Juna was very excited about what we're up to, and if we ever
pull together some education materials they may have volunteers
interested in helping out and using them.  Most of their volunteers are
GIS users, and I think most have not been exposed much to open source.
But it fits well with their mission, especially if they are to leave
behind software to help others do GIS.

If anyone wants her contact info I can give it to you.  And if anyone
thinks of specific projects that we could partner with them, she would
definitely be interested in hearing more.

best regards,

Chris

--
Chris Holmes