[OSGeo-Board] Local chapters and their legal status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 1 11:16:38 PDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Board,
>
> being involved in the complicated question of finding the
> right legal form for the Italian OSGeo chapter, I wonder
> if we should add the requirement onto all local chapters to
> publish their legal status. This would help to understand how they
> are/were formed. Maybe a one-liner could then explain the
> implications of the chosen form and if it is the definite one
> or in transition (from ad-hoc to stable...).
>
> So my first question is about the legal form of Japanese, Chinese
> and Indian local chapters which are listed as official on the
> www.osgeo.org site.

Markus,

I have modified the Chapter Guidelines to include "legal form (incorporated?)"
in the list of information that should be included in the information that
should be submitted to the board.

"""
"OSGeo Chapter" should submit an official expression of interest to form a
chapter to the OSGeo board, listing initial members, mission, representative,
legal form (incorporated?) and other supporting information.
"""

I'd suggest you contact the local chapter representatives to the board to
ask them what their current legal form is.  They are listed at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Contacts

I will say that the Ottawa OSGeo chapter has no legal existence.  It is
an informal meeting group.