[OSGeo-Board] Another open source geospatial initiative ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 11 20:20:08 PDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Do anyone of you know more about this 52 north entity.  Responding to the
> slashgeo.org posting (below) and osgeo discuss would help clear some air.
>
> I assume Arnulf knows about them?

Tyler,

They are a sort of university/commercial cross-over developing open
source geospatial software.  I haven't followed their activities closely,
but they have been around for a couple years and are doing various good
work.  I think it would be best to see them as an organization for
sharing cost and results of software development between multiple
organizations.

I imagine Arnulf could give more details.

It may be that at some point a more explicit cooperation with 52North
and OSGeo would be appropriate.