[OSGeo-Board] 501(c)3 Question with respect to sponsorship

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 27 07:42:33 PDT 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> How does the 30% rule (or whatever it is) apply to a split of
> sponsorship between OSGeo itself and an OSGeo project? I am unclear
> about the financial relationship from a GASB point of view with respect
> to 501(c)3 corporations.

Gary,

To the best of my knowledge all sponsorship payments to OSGeo would
be treated the same for the purposes of 501(c)3 accounting regardless
of whether it is for any use or project directed.  To the tax/charity
authorities I don't see how our subdivision into projects within one
corporation could make a difference.

> Rich, are you there?

Barring someone with real knowledge saying otherwise at least.