[Board] Draft voting rules...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Jun 13 10:32:57 PDT 2007

>>> This looks ok to me, though I feel you are stretching out the voting
>>> period quite a bit from that originally passed.
> Yes, 17 days is pretty long -- 10 should be sufficient?

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

I had actually forgotten that we have a list of voting procedures
already.  I'll go back and make sure all points are incorporated.

Logistically, I am just trying to maximise the likelihood of catching
as many of our 45 members as possible during this nice season of warm
weather.

I was also thinking of this part from the bylaws that, in my
interpretation, required at least 10 days notice of nominees before
voting: "The nomination must be included in a notice to the members
at least ten (10) days in advance of the meeting at which the members
will vote on the applicant’s admission."

In some cases it has taken me 3 days just to get several nominees
confirmed due to timezones, language barriers and bouncing email
addresses.  Since I have to ensure all charter members get the
notice, having more time will help reduce the chance of missing someone.

Since I've given notice already of our list of nominees, and warned
them a vote is coming, I'll drop it to ten days.

> Also, I think we need to state that if less than 15 people actually
> receive any votes, then only that number of nominees are made charter
> members.

Good point.

Thanks for the feedback.
Tyler