[Board] [Fwd: [Incubator Application] OpenDragon]

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Sat Mar 10 17:47:16 PST 2007

Hi Frank,

My comments below. David Hastings may also fill up
with additional details

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> FYI
>
> I have made an initial response to these folks expressing our enthuasism
> about involvement with them, though obviously that is conditional on their
> committing to an open source license.  Perhaps others have useful
> suggestions
> or feedback for them?
>
> Venka - do you know these folks?  I've heard of them before but know almost
> nothing about them.

The Kurt Rudahl has been around in the geospatial (RS, image processing)
scene for last 30 years. Their Dragon suite was sold under the banner
of Golden Software since the 80's, I think. 80's was the time we had
the Computer Oriented Geological Society based in Colorado.

Kurt has immigrated to Thailand and had chosen a free (as in beer) as
a model for educational purposes. David and I had discussed with
him to choose free (as in freedom) model and consider bringing the
Dragon suite into the OSGeo umberalla. I am glad to know that
Kurt has contact you. I think we can consider to incubate Dragon
if Kurt agrees to adopting an OSI license for Dragon.

Kind regards

Venka