[Board] Board members and ending of 2 year term

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 10 16:19:00 PDT 2008

dear all,

I plan to open nominations to the Board on Friday, for a period
lasting one week.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2008#Board_Election

As it stands Frank, Arnulf, Dave and Chris have all reached the end of
a 2-year term for which a Board member is elected.

Last year no-one had sat 2 terms, so 5 of us were picked at random,
we were then able to "nominate ourselves" for re-election, this caused
the CRO some headaches with gathering nomination text of support.

After consulting with Frank and Tyler, it makes sense that Board
members who wish to continue should be nominated by some third party,
so they enter on a somewhat level playing field with prospective new
Board members, and that it continue this way into the future.

This means that Board members who *don't* wish to continue don't
*need* to do anything, only to refuse to be renominated by others.
So it works out as a kind of automatic potential retirement -
I hope this bit of process does not seem brusque, thus the FYI here.

cheers,

jo