[Board] Re: [Marketing] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Sydney and conference software

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 21 11:03:12 PDT 2008

(carried to board)

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-May/000559.html

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
<tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
> I'm much in the same boat as Frank - I personally see high value in having
> open access to our content and the underlying system, but don't think I can
> help support a choice either way now due to lack of time.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if there is a good job here for someone, either as a volunteer or
> possibly in some part time work.  I see several ads for OJS/OCS developers,
> for example.

My feeling is: if we gain 100k (or whatever) from a conference, we should
consider to hire someone to set up the one-time-for-forever conference system
(e.g. INDICO which is free software [2], used at http://www.foss4g2006.org/)
for branding purposes etc. It's not a permanent position of course.
But it should
help us to establish the conference management well.

Posted here for information, let's continue to discuss in
 http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
where it belongs to. Please post your opinion there.

markus

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-May/000557.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-May/000548.html