[Board] Teach-in 2009

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue May 27 09:03:20 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM,  <jo at frot.org> wrote:
> The onus is on us as policymakers for the Foundation to counteract
> that impression. If a "teach-in" provides a very good fit for the
> Foundation's educational and outreach goals, as well as a means of
> financial autonomy, then OSGeo should be considering trying to
> replicate the success of the model worldwide in helping smaller
> regional conferences come together. This would IMHO be a more
> beneficial use of our Exec Director's time than sponsor schmoozing and
> sponsor relationship management.
>
> Anyway i would like to hear more non-North-American reactions
> especially on this last point and how to address it.

As a non-North-American I can foresee harsh reactions if this isn't
dealt with well politically. I am fighting the battle here for quite some
time to convince people that OSGeo != North-America.

A suggestion: Clone the idea immediately and offer the same thing
on 1-2 other continents, too.

Pros:
- even better marketing effects through event synchronization
- location easier to reach for many people incl. tutors
- one more effort to show that OSGeo is thinking globally

Con:
- need to find likeminded people to organize in parallel
  Asian/European/... Teach-in events.

Multi-location Teach-in!

Best regards,
Markus