[Board] Support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 28 14:25:58 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> The aim for such subsidized events might be to:
>>  o Provide up-front funding for a facility (hopefully we could gets
>> something
>>   reasonable at a university)
>>  o Provide up-front funding for a few outside presenters.
>>  o Subsidize some students (perhaps selected by local chapter activists?)
>
> How about subsidize an organizer? These things don't just spring out
> of the ground on their own, and local folks don't know necessarily all
> the parts needed to make them a success. Even more important, from an
> OSGeo perspective, make sure that the event has a level of consistency
> with the other events, in presentation, marketing and execution.

Paul,

Well, there are various models.  I was thinking that one of the folks
who comes in from outside would be bringing in expertise from previous
events, and would be working in consultation with the local organizing
group.

I agree my ideas are not fully baked. :-)

I just find it hard to ignore questions like "what form might such support
take?"