[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Thu May 29 04:45:53 PDT 2008

Sorry, couldn't ignore this one....

I'm really surprised and confused about some of the negative reaction
to Paul Ramsey's proposal to provide training for OSGeo projects and
solutions.

It is clearly a good thing in my mind.  We have several active members
of the OSGeo projects proposing to spread the word and provide a much
needed service.  They are offering to take the risk and provide both
financial and advertising benefit to the OSGeo.

It is in our best interest to raise the bar for all OSGeo solutions -
training is a much need part of that.  OSGeo needs to participate in
these types of things to stay in the public eye and raise the
financial resources to carry on its cause.

It is quite true that it is extremely difficult for many to justify
travel outside their own countries to the agencies or organizations
they work for.  It is naive to think that we are going to change that
fact.  There is a customer need for OSGeo training all over the world
- OSGeo should be encouraging a thousand flowers to bloom.  None of
this happens for free.  Open source should not be confused with
'free', it costs money and resources to do these things and we need to
encourage all of the help we can get.

We should be putting our energy into positively encouraging our
solutions and their promotions, raising more resources for OSGeo so we
have the ability to help those in need.

Mark,
a has been board member ;-)