[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Thu May 29 08:52:23 PDT 2008

I reiterate: it would be nice to see a succinct statement of opposition
to Paul's proposal that can be argued for/against.

Perhaps this good question of Arnulf's was meant to be such a statement?

> How can we (OSGeo) assure that we (OSGeo) apply the same vetting to
> anybody (OSGeo members?) who approach OSGeo wanting to do the same
thing?

It is the Board's responsibility to make such decisions.  Sometimes
there is no clear-cut decision criteria, alas, especially for ideas that
are new and untried -- situations like this are why boards exist: to
make such policy decisions.

Three possible paths suggest themselves to me:

  1- simply declare the teach-in idea inappropriate, and end the
discussion
  2- put out a CFP for teach-ins and then choose amongst the respondents
     using a set of criteria, not unlike the annual conference
  3- judge each teach-in proposal on a case-by-case basis

(I'd personally suggest path #3, since the idea is relatively new and
untried; should it be successful or unsucessful, then the board can move
to path #2 or #1, respectively, the next time such a teach-in idea comes
around.)

[Personal aside: I find myself frequently disagreeing with Arnulf's
positions, but I have in the past and will continue in the future to
support his presence here precisely because he provides such a valuable
counterpoint to some of us -- making me at least stop and think through
my positions.]

-mpg